Recently Christmas spirit has been influencing my baking. From cookies, to salted caramel and gingerbread cupcakes to now Mince Pies. I’m not a lover of mince pies, I like one every now and then but I decided to make my own version with Jam. This is a good recipe for if you have friends or family who aren’t keen on the traditional mince pies. I took an original mince pie recipe and switched the mince for strawberry jam.
- 680g Plain Flour
- 400g Cold Unsalted Butter
- 4 tbsps Caster Sugar
- 5 Large Egg Yolks (Keep one aside for brushing the tops!)
- 8 tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven to 175oC
- Now sift the flour and salt together into a bowl. Use your fingers to rub in the butter until the mixture is crumble like. Next you need to stir in the egg yolks and sugar, then add the water a tablespoon at a time. Continue to to this until the mixture comes together to make a dough. Wrap this in clingfilm and leave it to chill for 10 minutes.
- On a clean surface, roll out the dough, ensuring to dust the rolling pin and surface with flour. (Or the vodka bottle, I had to use...student life.) Then using a round cookie cutter, cut out circles and place into a greased muffin tray. Now add a small amount of Jam into the cases.
- With the left over dough, use a small star cookie cutter to make the topping for the mince pies. I didn't have a cutter, so I tried to cut the shapes out myself. This worked ok, but it would have worked alot better with a cookie cutter. Now brush some egg yolk over the top and bake for 15-20 minutes until they are glossy and golden brown.
I’d love to see if you recreate this recipe. Tag me in any images if you do, my social media links are all in the menu bar and to the right.